Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Historical Food Fortnightly Challenge #5 - Roasts

5.  Roasts (February 26 - March 10)  They're a staple of the historic table, in many different shapes and forms and types.  It's also a cooking technique.  Try a historic recipe for a roast, or a recipe that involves roasting, and tell us how it turned out.

Again we are going back 100 years to the book Twenty Lessons in Domestic Science by Marian Cole Fisher Copyright 1916. 

In Lesson XIII Meats are instructions for boiling and then roasting a ham and an interesting recipe for a Cider Sauce to serve with the ham.

 
 
Finding an unsmoked ham proves futile and I don't want the smoke flavors to change the outcome of my recipe.   I discover this wonderful pork shoulder picnic roast and it's only $4.87 for 6 pounds.  Perfect.  Ingredients assembled.

Realizing I forgot to make the bread crumbs ahead of time I make a 2016 substitution for my 1916 recipe.
Following the directions, I pour boiling water over the roast and gently simmer for 90 minutes.  I think about what a difference this will make in the outcome of the roast.  Being precooked this way will mean less time in the dry heat of the oven, the fat will boil off leaving the roast leaner and healthier, and the surface of the roast will be able to brown nicely without being overcooked.  I think I like this method.

 
The roast is boiled and now it's time to remove the skin and fat.

 
A coating of bread crumbs sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and finished with whole cloves, and the roast is ready for a 350 degree oven.

 
45 minutes later and the roast is perfect!

 
While the roast sits a while before slicing, I'll make the Cider Sauce.  I couldn't find any apple cider at the grocery store which is fine as I think making the substitute will be interesting.  What I don't think will be at all interesting are the gherkins.  I wondered if this meant pickled small cucumbers or just small cucumbes.  As I think about the other ingredients in the recipe I decide to use pickled gherkins.  What is so interesting about that is that my husband hates hates hates pickles.  We were waiting at the airport one day for a delayed flight and we realized we should eat lunch.  What appeared to be a tater tot on the plate actually turned out to be a deep fried pickle.  Hubby took one bite and spit everything back on his plate.  I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.  But I am going to use the sweet gherkins and warn him that I don't know how the sauce will taste.  Crossed fingers!




With some sides of honeyed carrots and seasoned cabbage, the baked ham is extraordinary!  Tender, juicy, flavorful!  Delicious alone but incredible with the cider sauce.  The sauce is tangy and smooth with just enough spice and tart to balance the sweetness of the ham coating.




What about the pickles?  Hubby loves the sauce and that's all that matters, right?  What he doesn't know........well, you understand. *wink*
Love always,
Jeanette

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my fave challenge -- everyone's food looks so delicious!

    And I really like that cider sauce, it seems like a nice recipe to have in one's back pocket. Also, your china is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tegan! It's been so fun to see everyone's Challenges. The cider sauce is excellent and makes the flavor completely different. It was like having two different meals! The china is my husband's mother's made in Occupied Japan. It's very sentimental to us. Thank you!

      Delete